Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Could have used a little more skepticsm, those guys.

I saw this on a blog when I got home from work tonight - a runaway Dallas teenager, missing since late 2010, turned up. In Columbia. The country to which this African-American non-Spanish speaking kid was deported. From what I can tell so far, she ran away, was picked up for theft, and gave a false name - a name which turned out to belong to a 22 year old immigrant with warrants for her arrest. So Immigration and Customs Enforcement got involved. And deported her. Apparently they fingerprinted her, but did not fully investigate her identity, or consider the possibility that this lone teenage girl might not be telling the truth about her name.

Now, I'm not entirely sure how they got through the whole deportation process, without at some point the kid saying, "Hey, wait... I'm an American" and SOMEONE believing her - or at least looking into it. It's not impossible that she never told them that, but I know that no matter how much I felt like I had fucked up, I would have piped up at some point before being ejected from my country of birth under a false name. 

No comments: