Sunday, November 16, 2008

Marriage Equality Rallytime!

Yesterday afternoon (at least, it was afternoon if you were in eastern or central time) there were rallies in 300 cities in all 50 US states as well a several other countries, supporting marriage equality. While there were plenty of "Shame on you, California" signs still about, the focus of the rally here in NYC was largely on the positive of what we want, not the negative of Prop 8 and its brethren.

Here are  a few of the pictures that I took yesterday, though none of them are especially fantastic, at least it can give you some idea!






You know how I adore the constitution! 









This was one of my favorite signs. ("Whoever said that orange was the new pink was seriously disturbed.")










This girl had the right idea! Climbing on something seemed the only way to even see where the stage might be!












Another good sign. I like the positive ones best. 












Of course, some negativity is pretty funny, especially when it's Wizard of Oz related!













There was something especially affecting to me about this girl. She seemed very intense to me.













While it's hard to argue that the Mormons are not an excellent lightning rod, I think that focusing on them is ultimately a losing battle. 

 







The police had cordoned off lots of areas like this, which made me think of Naomi Wolf's "Give Me Liberty", in which she laments the limits placed on public assembly.






No comments: